[Pythonmac-SIG] Interest In RAD for python?

Samuel Smith smithsm@adeptsystemsinc.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 20:29:48 -0500

>Hello Everyone,
>     I am currently developing a RAD environment for Python called VPython.
>It will have built in syntax coloring/auto indenting, drag and drop Tkinter
>IDEs, module browser, class generators, and a slew of other features. I am
>contimplating whether or not to charge for this when it is completed (a very
>low amount I mean, like around 10-20). How many people would be interested
>in something like this? And how many people would be willing to pay a low
>shareware fee if there was one?

There were three commercial IDE's for python announced at the Python
conf this week. The prices I think were under $100 per seat. So not
too expensive but still a lot more than $10-20 Shareware. My guess is
the degree of interest would come down to price performance.
Certainly everyone I know wants a good IDE for Python.

FYI the 3 are

PythonWorks by The Secret Labs
Komodo by ActiveState
Wing IDE by Archaeopteryx