[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: anybody doing GUI development with Python

tom smith tom@othermedia.com
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:27:41 +0100

I too am trialling jython (although I couldn't get it going on OS9), have
mucked about with Tkinter and not really liked the results (there is no Tk
gui builder for X or OS9) and RealBasic.

I really like python syntax (though it could be easily improved) and java
has lots of useful bits and bobs, like hierarchical views... But RealBasic
has really useful things, like idle events and a great gui builder, but you
have to use plug-ins to get fundamental stuff like regular expressions.

If python was really as good as we all think it is, someone would have
written RealBasic like tool in python. RealPython? PythonCard? ...and it
would run on OS9, X, Windows and Linux....

..and it would have jam on it.

> Use what works: the craftsman is not judged by his tools but by his
> creation. Good luck.

Yet if your only tool is a hammer, every problem ends up looking like a
nail.

:-)

--
tom smith | tom@othermedia.com