[Pythonmac-SIG] BuildApplet and Application problems

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:45:36 +0200

jlegg@acs.wooster.edu wrote:

>  I'm working on a project that uses the Res module to access resource data
> from a .rsrc (or the python file itself, when I compile it to and applet
> or application). As a script with a seperate .rsrc file everything works
> fine but when I run BuildApplet on it I run into problems. Everything
> "compiles" fine and I end up with a .applet program but this does not do
> anything when it runs -- flashes a blank console window then terminates.
> The Application will do the same thing (except sit at a blank console with
> *terminated* in the title bar). However, when I compile scripts that do
> not make use of Res module functions everything seems to work fine. Any
> ideas as to why this is and possible resolutions?
>
> In fact, it seems that I can even use Res functions and compile everything
> fine -- it's only when I merge my .rsrc file with the applet/application
> that things turn to failure. If I compiled with CodeWarrior or some
> other way would that work?

It's hard to tell what's going on without a traceback: is there any exception
catching code in your app/script that might mask the exception?

Or else: are there any Python prefs resources in your .rsrc file that might be
corrupt or belong to a different version of Python?

Just