[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1a2 available

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:52:14 +0100

>  EasyDialogs.test() crashes from both the python interpreter and the IDE.

Ok, will look into this.

>  On starting the IDE, I get the message:
> 	 XXX killed unknown (crashed?) Python window.
>  in the output window.

Yes, this also happens on OS9. I'll have a look.

>  If I try to call Win.NewCWindow( ... )
>  the window briefly appears and disappears, with that same message
>   repeated again in the output window.
>
>  (If I do the same from Python interpreter, the window doesn't disappear)

The former is expected (IDE kills any windows it doesn't know, because they
mess up the redraw scheme), the latter not. Could you try a bit more elaborate
test (maybe something from Demo, or FrameWork)?

>  There are a bunch of cosmetic glicthes in the IDE:  text doesn't fit
>    in buttons, outline around default button doesn't quite match the
>    button, et.al.

I know, I'm leaving this until later. Everyone ships their OSX apps with text
not fitting in buttons:-)

> But, I'm quite amazed that you got this far Jack -- great start!
> ( Are you using CW6 for this ? I haven't upgraded mine, but if it's
>   really working well under OSX I may do so. Does their debugger
>   work under OSX ?  They don't support mach-o output yet, do they? )

Yes, this is with CW6. The debugger sometimes works. On Mondays and wednesdays
it works in the morning, and some other days it will work if you try it 3
times, that sort of thing. There appears to be a difference between the two
public beta developer tools versions, it works more often on my work machine
than at home. I think they have macho tools in their "use at your own risk"
folder, but I'm not sure.

> I'm sure I'll poke around on it some more. I saw some instructions
> a while back on one of the OSX lists on how to coerce gdb to work
> for CFM apps. If I can find that and get it to work, I'll try to
> get you some more useful info.

Yes! That would be very useful for tuesdays, thursdays and fridays:-)