[Pythonmac-SIG] Mach-O MacPython IDE!!!

Tony Lownds tony@metanet.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:46:27 -0800

>As Jack mentioned, it's in the standard WASTE distribution. For any
>point and clickers who'd like to follow along, that's:
>
>http://www.merzwaren.com/bin/waste/waste-21a4.sit
>
>Unpack the sit, rename the folder 'waste', and place it at the same
>level as your python 'src' directory (ie if you've done a checkout
>from cvs, in 'python/dist')
>
>Go into the Static Libraries folder with the terminal and run
>'ranlib libWASTE.a'
>
>Now you should be able to 'make sharedinstall', run python, and
>'import waste'.

Thanks!

>Ah. I had read some discussion about FSRefs vs FSSpecs on
>Carbon-dev, but never had to deal with it so didn't pay much
>attention; can an FSRef be used wherever an FSSpec is called for in
>a Carbon call? Or do you have to create an FSRef and convert it to
>an FSSpec?

The second; there are conversion functions. FSRef and FSSpec are not
interchangeable. I really don't know what would be best, but there
are plenty of smart folks here.

>I suppose the problems with slash delimited paths could therefore be
>solved by changing the FSSpec_New code to first create an FSRef and
>then convert it to an FSSpec.

How would FSSpec_New know if you are passing a unix path or a mac
path? The API for those two is different. And all possible unix paths
are possible mac paths; on the mac / is legal in filenames and : is
the path delimiter, and on unix vice versa. So guessing that
"/hello/world" is a unix path would be hasty.

>I downloaded your Python with Tk distribution the other day, and
>just for laughs dropped idle.py on it. I was pleasantly surprised
>:-) Thanks, Tony, for getting Tk up and running with MachoPython. Do
>you have any diffs to the CVS for the changes you made to your
>distribution? Are they going to make it in to the official
>distribution?

Yes and yes. Tk is still in alpha 1. Its VERY stable to use,
considering that fact, but the process of embedding is still rough
around the edges. So, why rush it? A patch to let you link against Tk
alpha 1 is already in Python 2.2.

-Tony