[Pythonmac-SIG] Silly question? Database server (Mac OS 9 / Mac OS x / PC-Win)

Richard Gordon richard@richardgordon.net
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:17:10 -0500

At 3:17 PM -0600 12/7/01, Bob Savage wrote:
>I recently installed PostGresQL on my iBook and it works great, but you have
>to do a few mysterious things to get it setup. Both PostGresQL and MySQL are
>available already compiled.

The only word that can describe PostgreSQL is "splendid." I run it on
a LAN using mkLinux and an Apache interface using mod_snake with
Python. Very cool. Oops, that's two more words.

>Both MySQL and PostGresQL have Python bindings (here is one I found for
>PostGres: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pypgsql/ )

MySQLdb works well too and is very similar. I am using it for "The
Devil's Dictionary" at http://internet-voyager.com/dictionary.html
(just click the "Browse All" button if you are not that familiar with
Ambrose Bierce's writing) and the source code for the CGI is
available at http://internet-voyager.com/source.html if anyone wants
to get a general idea of how the interface can be used.

>As far as I know both PostGresQL and MySQL have support for Unix, MacOSX,
>and Windows.

I haven't looked lately, but the last I heard PostgreSQL will only
run on windoze from within Cygwin, so it's effectively limited to
unix. MySQL does work directly in windoze and actually runs rather
well.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Design
Web Design/Database Development