[Pythonmac-SIG] Silly MacOS X question...

tracy shaun ruggles trace@reinventnow.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 18:41:50 -0600

Hi,

Just installed MacOS X and trying to change file permissions within the
folder where Apache CGI files are, *but* my own machine won't let me (that
folder is owned by 'root').

How does one change files that are owned by root?

This does apply to the list since I'm working on a Python-based project
using Webware.  :-)  Which brings me to my next question, how does one
install things like Webware and MySQL on MacOS X so that it is run as root
and/or is accessible by all users of the machine?

And, one more X-novice question: where/what is the file that specifies where
to run applications from the terminal, i.e. "python thisScript.py" execute
the script using python.

Or, better yet, "./thisScript.py" where the first line would read something
like "#!/usr/local/bin/python".  I can't access most of the folders in /usr
since I'm not 'root'.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Tracy