[Pythonmac-SIG] PyOpenGL

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:49:16 +0200

Recently, Sans Peur <simonmagus@earthlink.net> said:
> Greetings,
>
> I am a Python novice. I just installed Python 2.1.1 on my G3 and it's
> working fine. I want to install PyOpenGL 2.0.0.42 beta but the setup.py
> script fails.  I set the path up ok, but I really don't know where to put
> the PyOpenGL folder. I put in in Python 2.1.1 folder. Is that right? Does it
> matter where I put it?

No, it doesn't really matter where you put it. But: from the stack
trace it appears that you've put it into :Lib:site-python, that may be
the one location that is not such a good idea, as it is where PyOpenGL
will install itself, I think...

> After using BBEdit to set up the python file type I
> ran setup.py with Option-down double-click, I then type install on the
> command line and the script goes all the way down to line 118 where it
> fails, looking for Numeric headers.

Have you installed the developer optin of MacPython? that's the only
option that isn't installed by doing an "easy install", so you need to
select it manually. If you've selected it you should have an Include
folder in your Python directory (and a Include:Numeric as well).

The self.HAS_NUMERIC problem may be related to this, and it may be a
bug in the PyOpenGL setup script. I guess you're on your own here, or
you should ask the PyOpenGL maintainers.

> Anyone willing to help me out? I need some ideas (or straight to the point
> instructions...)

Distutils on the mac is pretty new, and I've only tried to install a
few things with it. So there's a good chance that you'll run into bugs
and unsupported features. Just keep asking here...
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm