[Pythonmac-SIG] MacOSX Python - framework support working

Mark Day mday@mac.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:05:16 -0700

On Thursday, August 16, 2001, at 02:34 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Not of specific Mac stuff yet. The framework is step one in a series
> of things we need (feel free to jump in and help!):
> 1) Install Python as a framework
> 2) Create a Python.app that you can drag and drop scripts on from the
>    finder.

Would that include some form of IDE like what's in the MacPython
distribution currently?  If not, that would be really nice to have
somewhere on the list.

For me, the GUI object inspector is probably the best part of the IDE.
Next would probably be the ease of editing a script and running it
directly (without having to switch between apps, or even saving a
file).  And of course the GUI interface to the debugger is really handy.

I'd like to help in general, but I'm not sure where I can usefully
contribute.

I'd like to implement some Python interfaces to the File Manager
(starting with the HFS Plus APIs, and then the other APIs supported in
Carbon).  My most immediate desire is to be able to drive all
combinations of inputs to those APIs in order to test/debug the File
Manager itself.  But that's probably more complicated than what the
typical Python user needs/wants (so it might not be terribly useful as a
mainstream module).

-Mark