[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.1 release candidate

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:31:00 -0700

>MacPython 2.1 is ready, as far as I can tell. Please download the installer
>from http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac/newer and report back
>success/failure. If all goes well I'll put it in the standard place and
>announce it tomorrow.

I just tested it on a PowerMac G4 running MacOS 9.1. Classic version
(since I use Tk). The basics that I tried work fine -- built in tests
and my own non-Tk code. However, Tk is unfortunately broken.

The main symptom is that most Tk scripts freeze after launch. I
cannot move windows around, switch out of the script or do anything
else. To get out of this I can type cmd-period (at which point the
output window shows a keyboard interrupt and the script is done) or I
force PythonInterpreter). One such example script is
<ftp://ftp.astro.washington.edu/pub/users/owen/ScriptWindow.py>. The
colors program from Grayson's "Python and Tkinter Programming" also
shows this problem. Some other scripts do not (including Grayson's
bouncing ball script that demonstrates animation via "after") and
I've not been able to find a common theme.

Just to be clear, I am using PythonInterpreter (not the IDE) and the
Classic version (not Carbon). Everything tested runs under 2.0 on my
Mac and on a unix box.

Also, here's a nonrepeatable problem: EditPythonPrefs crashed the
first time I ran it. I tried to record the data, but in the process
of trying to copy it I lost it all. After displaying a crash dump of
some kind in a standard Python output window it was in a very strange
state where the application had no entries in the menu bar -- just a
blank bar across the top of the screen. Yet I could switch to other
applications and they seemed OK. Force exit got me out of that one.
Subsequent runs worked fine. If anybody else sees this, I hope you'll
have more luck recording the info than I did.

Regards,

-- Russell