[Pythonmac-SIG] Using a unix Python with a MacPython Lib tree

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@minsky.med.virginia.edu
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 01:35:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Jonathan Wight wrote:

> On 04/04/2001 18:04, "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@virginia.edu> wrote:
>
> > Jonathan -- after you've figured out Cocoa, I hope you'll sign up
> > at Sourceforge.net/projects/pyobjc -- so far BBum and I have been
> > the only ones that have taked a hack at it, and neither of us have
> > been able to spend a lot of time on it.
>
> I've signed up for the mailing list. Traffic so far has been, um,
> non-existsnt ;-) I'm also confused as to which version of PyObjC source code
> to grab. Is it safe to assume the code available from source forge is the
> latest and greatest?

Yes. The CVS is what's current.
 BBum did the last set of patches to change the build to use disutils.
It would build under 2.1 except for one glitch -- it complains about
not knowing what to do about ".m" files.

You need to change Lib/distutils/unixccompiler.py :
70c70
<     src_extensions = [".c",".C",".cc",".cxx",".cpp"]
---
>     src_extensions = [".c",".C",".cc",".cxx",".cpp",".m"]

 And this just reminded me to submit the patch! I have had some more
SSH problems at SourceForge -- I finally gave up on IE and grabbed
OmniWeb and it seems to be working

I only just caught that the new build changed the name from ObjC.so
to pyobjc.so -- so that binary I put on mac.com is actually the
previous build.

Once that patch goes into Python2.1, all of the known build problems
for Python and PyObjC on OSX are fixed. I think we can finally have
a release that doesn't require a bunch of patches to Python to be
able to build/install/work. Maybe traffic will pick up as soon as
we put up a release.

-- Steve.