[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: API_MAC_CARBON

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:51:44 +0100

> Jack:
> I noticed some of the  "#if !TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON" in the sources.
> What exactly is the state of Carbonization of MacPython ?

I have a Carbonized MacPython sort-of working. But: there is no GUSI for
carbon yet, so it doesn't have sockets/select/threads, so that makes it rather
useless. As soon as GUSI is Carbon-compatible we should have a working
Carbon-Python.

> Is you build environment out-of-the-box Codewarrior ?
> ( and what version? 5? ) or are you using one of the
> later Universal Interfaces on top of CW's headers.

The 2.0 distribution is build with standard CW Pro 5.3. If you want to do
Carbon development you'll need CW Pro 6. And I've only done carbon work with
the Pro 6 beta release (my full copy still hasn't arrived).

> Have you looked at all at the question of supporting the new
> carbon event model ?
> I'm guessing that to really work, SIOUX, GUSI and Tk would
> also need to support the new event model. I don't think there's
> been much new work done on Tk for Mac, so I doubt that there's
> any help there. What about GUSI ?

Things are slow with GUSI at the moment. And while a few people (including
myself) have volunteered to help out it is rather difficult due to the GUSI
source code structure (Matthias uses some sort of tangle/weave structure with
homegrown tools).