[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter on Mac OS9

tom smith tom@othermedia.com
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:45:01 +0100

on 18/10/00 9:59 am, J=F6rg Kantel at kantel@mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>=20
>> I'm looking for some hints as to how to get
>> Tkinter on Macs to work.
>>=20
>=20
> You will find everything you need here:
> <http://DerSchockwellenreiter.editthispage.com/python/tkinterenglish.html=

Not quite everything :-)

on 18/10/00 9:46 am, Edward Irvine at irvinee@yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Tkinter on Macs to work.

yeah, I had this problem...try these ....

Quit the IDE and the interpreter if they are running.

Check that you actually installed it, the default is not to install it. Re
install with the "custom" option. Do'h!

Trash the preferences in the folder "python" in your system folder's
preferences folder.

Use the EditPythonPrefs has the line...
$(PYTHON):Lib:lib-tk....what's worth pointing out here is that although the
field looks like it's clickable, it's actually a field where you type....
bad bad interface!!....especially since you have to use the arrow keys to
move around....oh, and don't think about clicking any of those buttons
unless you want to crash :-)

Run ConfigurePython. I think this sets the PYTHONPATH thingy.

run the IDE, type "import sys" and then "sys.path" to see if the path to th=
Tk stuff is there.

...at the interactive prompt, type "import Tkinter" and see if it errors.

If it is, drop any tk example files on the interpreter, don't try to run em
through the IDE.=20

give the interpreter more memory ( I think it needs loads 20MB?!)

As a last and desperate resort I try trashing any .pyc files I can find the=
running through it all again....after a bit of mucking about I got it
going...

hope this helps

tom