[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Per user dirs on Non-Unix platforms (was Re: [Python-Dev] Where to install non-code files)

jdurchen@murl.com jdurchen@murl.com
Tue, 30 May 2000 21:08:17 -0500

I took a look at it and actually, it appers that the OS "blesses" the
folder in the User's directory. I am sure that if I did a find folder,
it would return this specific user directory. So in essence, it appears
that the new MacOS9.0.4 multiuser system behaves a bit more Unix like
than I first thought.

In a standard user folder there is (Just after creating a new account)

1. Apple Menu Items
2. Desktop Pictures
3. Documents
4. Favorites (For Nav Services)
5. Internet Search Sites (Sherlock Plugins???)
6. Launcher Items
7. Preferences
8. PrintMonitor Documents
9. Shutdown Items
10. Startup Items

James

On Tue, May 30, 2000, at 04:11:08 pm Bob Savage <savageb@pacbell.net>
wrote:
> on 5/30/00 2:13 PM, James Durchenwald wrote:
>
> > It was I that actually said that. When logging out you get a VERY
> > noticeable delay that I had attributed to the OS copying files.
> > (There is also disk activity at logout time.) That was why I figured
> > they had done something skanky like actually copying the files. I
> > could most definitely been wrong. I could test this tonight when I
> > get home to my Multiuser system if anyone cares.
> >

> James, I would like to hear what you find out. I noticed that my
> system
> behaves fine for a while, but when my wife logs out something goes
> haywire;
> I end up with her desktop prefs and the apple menu shows her
> "favorites"
> folder instead of mine (although Nav services using apps -- such as
> Outlook
> -- have access to my "favorites" because I can still use it from the
> save
> and open dialog boxes).
>
> If it is a bother, don't trouble yourself on my account.
>
> best,
>
> Bob

James Durchenwald                                            jd@murl.com
VP Service Enhancement
319.369.0344x203
           Organize, store, and share your favorite bookmarks
                                            -- anytime, anywhere, FREE!

You've received MurlMail! -- FREE, web-based email, accessible
anywhere, anytime from any browser-enabled device. Sign up now at
http://murl.com

Murl.com - At Your Service