[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Really need a "GOTO"!

David Goodger dgoodger@bigfoot.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 12:57:41 -0400

> From: "Robin B. Lake" <rbl@hal.cwru.edu>
> Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 19:49:42 -0400 (EDT)
>
> I've got a program almost working, but --- being trained in programming
> well before "GOTO"s were considered harmful ---  I need some help in
> seeing how to change my "natural" code-construction tendancies.
> Here's the structure:

I assume you mean:

    Do something A
    while 1:
        if a line contains a string:
            do a bunch of stuff
        else:
            if a line contains a different string:
                Do something B

(Please watch your indentation. Significant, you know! :-)

> At this point, if I follow Do something B with:
>
> Do something B
> continue
>
> then embedded print statements show I don't got back to the start of the
> "while 1" loop, but just hang.  From the documentation, using a "break"
> here won't take me to the start of the "while 1:" loop.

You don't need a "continue" to return to the top of the while loop. I don't
see any problem with the pseudocode above. Perhaps post the actual code?

Also, "else: if ...:" is usually shortened to "elif ...:". This saves some
wear & tear on your tab key.

--
David Goodger    dgoodger@bigfoot.com    Open-source projects:
 - The Go Tools Project: http://gotools.sourceforge.net