[Pythonmac-SIG] Python on OSX dp4 screenshot

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 20 May 2000 23:51:06 +0200

Recently, Doug Wyatt <doug@sonosphere.com> said:
> I think it would be good to explore creating at least two versions of
> Python for X:
>
> - command-line, treating X as a BSD-like OS.  This should be a
> moderately straightforward port, except to the extent to which there
> could be OS bugs.  I'd love to use this in my work on X; I've never
> had the patience to learn shell scripting since I was first spoiled
> by Python.  I may attempt this...

This is basically already there: take the standard Python distribution
(the unix one) and compile it. There were one or two minor gotchas,
the main one I remember being that if you run on an HFS+ disk (as
opposed to a UFS disk) there's a name clash between the eventual
executable "python" and the "Python" directory. That's easily fixed in
the Makefile by setting the EXE=".exe" variable.

> - Carbonized, with access to the Mac toolbox.  I don't know offhand
> what obstacles there might be, but the Carbon Dater tool could
> probably help us find them ...

I'm busily hacking on this, and the easy bits have been done. I
haven't checked it into the repository yet because from those sources
I can't currently build a non-carbon Python. (I can't build a
carbon-Python either, but that's a minor detail:-). I hope to have
things working again in about 2 weeks time, then I'll check it in and
you're all invited to help hacking on this.

There are a few problems with helping with this, however. The main one
is that you need Codewarrior Pro 6, which isn't released yet. Is
anyone besides me on the MPTP program (Metrowerks's beta-tester list)?

The other one is that backwards-compatibility is probably easiest with
Universal Headers 3.3.1 or later. At least, that's what it looks like
right now. If CW Pro 6 comes out soon that isn't a problem, otherwise
I'd make life miserable for the rest of you by checking changes
in. I'm still undecided.