[Pythonmac-SIG] Doc cgi python

Marco Tasselli ita.mis@euro.apple.com
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:05:56 +0100

Just for your knowledge, I've used MacPython with WebStar for building heavy
CGI like solutions running on a Mac.
Those are extranet solutions where data are downloaded from a SAP R/3 machine,
pushed in a database (mac native using gdbm) and served a dinamic pages.
The Python WebStar solution is quite effective: the server went live a couple
years ago and is exceptionally stable!
In one occasion it runned for 5 month without a single reboot and has
**NEVER** had a crash!
Load is not bad at 100.000 queries a month (there are no static pages) and the
databases are rebuilt on the fly 3 times a day.
The average response time af the python application is 0.4 seconds per query.
As a design choice, I used an approach that parses the incoming apple event
from WebStar and does not use the standard CGI module.
I know this is a drawback for portability but I choosed to go that way because
I wanted to implement a procedure-calling like interface (ala Bobo).

recently the package has been ported to linux by only writing a wrapper for
converting the environment stream to the above mentioned procedure-calling
like interface.

ciao
Marco Tasselli