[Pythonmac-SIG] starting a process from a python program

Thomas Lane tom@parlant.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:57:43 -0700

I am trying to write a python program that can run another python program as a
new process. I want to start it asynchronously, so both processes continue to
execute. I know I can use "os.fork" for Unix and "os.spawnv" for Windows, but
what call can I use to do this on a Mac?

This is the first time I've ever written a Mac program (other than some assembly
language in school 10+ years ago), so if I am missing something obvious, please
let me know. Also, what are the limitations I am going to run into on Mac? My
understanding is that MacOS does not support threads. How is multitasking
handled? Is there a call that I have to make occasionally to return the CPU to
the OS? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom