[Pythonmac-SIG] Toolbox modules - Incompatible change

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:05:55 +0200

Folks,
in a recent release (I'm not sure whether it was 1.5.2 or 1.6a) I introduced a
new feature in the toolbox modules, so that objects inherited methods from
each other.

As an example, all Mac C programmers knew they could pass a DialogPtr to any
routine that expected a WindowPtr, so I put some hooks in the toolbox modules
so that all Window methods were also available on Dialog objects.

Of course, this has broken as of Carbon: even the C programmers are now
required to do
   win = GetDialogWindow(dlg);
   BringToFront(win);

I would prefer to do the same for Python, although there you can of course do
   dlg.GetDialogWindow().BringToFront()
and not worry about backward compatibility, i.e. code that has been written
recently and does
   dlg.BringToFront()
will break.

If anyone has a problem with this please let me know,
www.oratrix.nl/~jack    | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++