[Pythonmac-SIG] Lockup sending SMTP to AppleshareIP mail server

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:47:05 +0200

Recently, Andrew Watson <awatson@bigfoot.com> said:
> When I use the SMTP library to send email to an AppleshareIP server
> running on the same machine, the machine locks up, whereas it works
> perfectly as long as (mac)python and the mail server are running on
> seperate machines ( as they are at the moment). Is a) this some known
> threading issue with a workaround b) me using the SMTP lib wrongly or
> c) something I just have to live with?

Definitely a bug, but I'm not sure where to put the blame. If you have
a code fragment that shows the bug, and is small enough to post here
please do so, that other people can investigate. I'll dig around my
CDs to see whether I have an AppleShareIP SMTP server somewhere (I
never bought one, but there may be something on one of my developer
CDs).

Running the code in verbose mode (hmm, let me check that smtplib has
verbose... Yes, call setdebuglevel() with a high value) should also
show where exactly things fail.

Another thing to try is to download MacPython 1.6alfa from
ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/python/mac as this uses a newer I/O library,
maybe that makes the problem disappear.