[Pythonmac-SIG] A little x-platform issue...

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:51:05 -0400

I decided to take a swing at getting the adzapper.py proxy server
(based on Medusa) running on a Mac and have stumbled thru various
problems but am greatly puzzled by what happens when it hits a line
that uses int(time.time()). On the Mac, Python chokes and returns a
float overflow (or words to that effect) error, while both mkLinux
and OpenBSD don't seem to mind. Exploring this a little further, I
see that time.time() returns a value with 3 places to the right of
the decimal on the *nix boxes while the Mac returns xxxxxxxxx.0. In
my simple world, the Mac's value is already an integer so I just got
rid of the int() part only to be foiled by something else later, but
I was wondering what the deal is here? Why does this result in a
float overflow?

The denouement is that I got tired of fighting with this and just set
it up on OpenBSD, but I'd still like to know why this happened.
Thanks.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages