[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.0 installing problem

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 10:33:48 +0100

> If the path to Python 2.0 directory has Japanese directory name, Installing
> does not finish. It says "ImportError: No module named macfsn".
> Maybe other two byte encoding system ex. Chinese or Korea have same problem.
>
> If a file named foo placed on System:"APURIKE_SHON":foo, a Python get
> filename as follows.
> System:\203A\203v\203\212\203P\201[\203V\203\207\203\223:foo
>
> "APURIKE_SHON" is Japanese encoded string.

That could indeed be a problem: I never thought about 2-byte character sets. I
also have no idea how FSSpecs and such are implemented for 2-byte charsets.

Could you try running the following commands in that APURIKE_SHON folder
(easiest is probably to put them in a script and run that script from the that
folder)?
- print sys.prefix
- print sys.path
- open("foo")
- os.getcwd()
- open(os.path.join(os.getcwd(), "foo"))
- fss = macfs.FSSpec("foo"); print fss
- print fss.as_pathname()
- alias = fss.NewAlias()
- alias.Resolve().as_pathname()

Also, option-starting Python and setting the "trace import statements" bit
should give a bit more information.