[Pythonmac-SIG] WaitNextEvent and OS9

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 08 Apr 2000 13:57:42 +0200

Maybe someone can help me with the following: under OS9 I'm noticing
that WaitNextEvent(), even with a zero timeout, will take more and
more time before returning, unless you frantically wriggle the mouse.

I noticed this while putting GUSI2 in Python, but some careful testing
of old and new Pythons on OS8 and OS9 showed that this is probably OS9
behaviour.

I think this might be some "intelligent" behaviour of MacOS (programs
that keep calling WaitNextEvent with low timeout values without
getting any events have the cpu taken away from them), but with Python
calling WNE in the mainloop this is rather bothersome behaviour.

Does anyone know whether this guesswork is correct and, if so, if
there's anything I can do about it?