[Pythonmac-SIG] Printing Patch

Joseph J. Strout joe@strout.net
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:09:55 -0700

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback -- I'm eager to hear how well it works for
others.  (Theoretically we all have the same 1.5.2c1 system, but...)

>1. At some point, I believe that it starts looking for :Mac:Tools:
>FontSettings.pyc and since this wasn't part of my path when I
>originally compiled all, I didn't have a .pyc.

Wait.  My patch certainly doesn't look for this... it must be when
you ran BuildIDE.py?  But this doesn't need any .pyc's; it
automatically recompiles from the .py files.  Do you still have the
traceback it generated?

> I added the directory and ran compileall.py again, but then I ran
>into problems because it started trying to find things in
>:Mac:Tools:Mac:Tools:, so I had to remove :Mac:Tools: from my path
>to make it happy.

Hmm... FWIW, I've never run compileall.py, nor did I change the
default path.  I'm at a loss to explain the problems you saw here.

>2. For reasons that escape me, the Page Setup and Print menu items
>that were installed both ended with an extra character that was the
>letter "a" with an umlaut. It didn't seem to break anything, but it
>looked strange, so I went back to square one and edited the patch to
>get rid of these, then reran the whole thing.

Ah... this is supposed to be the ellipsis character (like "..." but a
single character in the Mac character set).  Looks like this didn't
survive the upload and download via http.  I'll try changing it to
three periods, which is unorthodox but probably nobody will know the
difference.

>3. I figured it out on my own, but you might want to mention in the
>instructions that the patched PythonIDE.py script still needs to be
>dropped on BuildApplet to actually get things ready to run normally.

Hmm, no, I never had to do this.  I just quit the IDE, double-click
BuildIDE.py, and it rebuilds the PythonIDE applet for me.  Did you do
this step?  If not, it could explain both problems 1 and 3.

>4. I like the line numbering on the printout, but noticed that at
>least on my printer (Epson 740i), line 00000 is begun above the
>printable portion of the page- the first line of succeeding pages
>prints normally as does line 00001.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I've got something cut off there too.
I'll look into it -- thanks for pointing this out.

> I don't know if the Epson driver doesn't know what to do with a
>line 00000 or what, but would guess that if line numbering began
>with 00001, it would work properly.

No, the numbers are just strings, they could be the Gettysburg
Address for all the printer driver can tell.  I think the numbering
*does* begin with 00001, but there is clearly something getting cut
off before the first line.  I'll fix ASAP.

>As first tries go, this wasn't too ragged and I appreciate your efforts.

Thanks, and I appreciate your feedback!

Cheers,
-- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout           Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
|    joe@strout.net             http://www.strout.net              |