[Pythonmac-SIG] Folder alias, time offset

Hung Jung Lu hung_jung_lu@adventure.com
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 09:21:56 -0700

Hi,

I am new here. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have two questions regarding Mac Python (1.5.1).

(1) How can one make a folder alias? I know that
          macostools.mkalias(src, dst)
     makes a file alias, but it does not work for folders.

(2) I consistently see that there is a mismatch between MacOS
     filesystem time and the operating system time. To be precise,
     they mismatch by around 4 years. Does that have something
     to do with MacIntosh's definition of epoch?
     (I believe that it is 1904/1/1, right?) Is this a know bug, or is
     there a reason behind it all? If this is an intended feature, then
     is there a standard way of converting time back and forth?
     (I typically get a filetime by using t=os.stat(filename)[8], it can
     then be views in formatted ASCII time by using
          print time.ctime(t),
     and I see that the printed time is 4 years younger.)

regards,

Hung Jung