[Pythonmac-SIG] JPython and the IDE

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 10:49:37 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I've pretty much decided on using JPython on the Mac so that I can do GUIs
> without having to learn and wrap PowerPlant or wait for wxMac and hope that
> it is complete and as easy to use.
>
> The one catch that I run into is debugging. If I do straight Java, I can use
> CW's debugger, if I do straight Python, I can use Just's IDE. However, I
> want to use JPython....

Forget about using the IDE: it is firmly embedded in the MacOS world, and none
of the MacOS GUI calls are available in Java (and, hence in JPython).

Your best bet is to look at what other people use to debug JPython. After all,
Java pretends to be a machine architecture, so debugging should be the same no
matter whether your virtual machine runs on Mac, Windows or Unix. Idle is also
out, I think, as it uses Tk for windowing, but there must be something out
there that uses Java windowing code...