[Pythonmac-SIG] Ctl.CreateRootControl( window ) always returns None

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:26:21 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Recently, "Steven D. Majewski" <sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu> said:
> >
> > Every attempt at calling Ctl.CreateRootControl( window ) returns None.
> > I've tried with various flavors of Dialog and  plain windows, visible
> > and invisible (just in case that made a difference) but it always
> > returns None, and calling Ctl.GetRootControl( window ) also returns
> > None.
> >
> > Am I missing a step in how to use this function or is it a bug?
>
> This is a bug. I'll look into it.

Thanks.
Looks like the same bug infects GetSuperControl, so the wrapper funcion
CtlObj_WhichControl is suspect.  Is it supposed to be calling
GetControlReference() ? Shouldn't it be the control itself and not
the RefCon value ?

Anyway -- the good news for all you appearance manager fans out there
is that, except for these couple bugs, auto-embedding of controls
seems to work properly as far as I can tell. Some of the more complex
emdedding controls need additional resources, so it's a bit trickier
to generate, say a set of tabbed folders dynamically from Python
if you haven't set up the appropriate 'tab#' resources beforehand.

BTW: There is a password control with appearance mgr. but I tried
sticking one in a dialog and it doesn't seem to do anything visible
when ModalDialog is called on it. Something is missing -- maybe it
has to request the keyboard focus explicitly. If anyone has a clue
let me know.

Re: appearance mgr support for dialogs present?
 Any more thoughts about how to protect function calls if support
 is not there ? For progress-indicator and (I assume) password
 control, which require a CDEF that's included with appearance
 mgr extension or is included in 8.x, failing to find that resource
 could be the test.

 Is there an interface to the gestalt calls ?

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

    Caldera Open Linux: "Powerful and easy to use!" -- Microsoft(*)
     (*) <http://www.pathfinder.com/fortune/1999/03/01/mic.html>