[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython - Guido

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:51:42 +0200

At 9:05 AM -0500 7/24/99, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>Several months ago I tried the PySol app created by Markus F.X.J.
>Oberhumer. On my PC at work it ran without problem. I tried it on my Mac at
>home and it would not run. :(
>I then emailed Markus and he replied that he had been told that using
>Tkinter on the Mac required lots of memory. I was already at 20mb for
>Python so I bumped it up to 48mb and it ran. I think the lowest it got was
>around 40mb. This isn't good for a cross-platform GUI.

Just to clarify: this had nothing to do with Tk(inter)!

PySol comes as one *gigantic* source file: 6150 lines, or 194 kb. The
Python *compiler* uses an unproportionally large amount of memory for large
source files, and that causes the problem. Once compiled to an applet it
runs very nicely using "only" 15 megs...

(Of course, Tk is still a memory hog, but then again, so is Python)

Just