[Pythonmac-SIG] Democracy time again: StandardGetFile and friends

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 00:17:03 +0100

It's feedback time again!

Now that I have these wonderful Navigation stuff it would be nice if
all programs could use it without having to bother with the new API,
and possibly even without changing a line of code, by revectoring
calls to macfs.StandardGetFile and friends to the Navigation stuff (if
it is available on the current machine).

I see a couple of possibilities, let me know what you think:
0. Don't bother, let people rewrite their code.
1. create a Python module macfsn that contains a StandardGetFile
   implemented through Nav and let people change their source code a
   tiny little bit.
2. Like 1, but go one step further: rename macfs to _macfs and call
   the module from 1 macfs. Also export everything else from macfs.
3. Like 1, but put magic code in the macfs C module that will try to
   import the macfsn module (if Nav is available) and replace the
   builtin StandardGetFile with the Python one.
42. Implement all the compat code in C.

(As to the numbering scheme: one-digit numbers will possibly be
implemented by me, for other choices someone else will have to step
in:-).