[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems building Python 1.5.2 on MacOS 9

etienne antoniutti di muro etienne@alias.it
Fri, 03 Dec 1999 12:58:25 +0100

List members,
I'm a newbie and this is my first message posted, so Hi everybody!

Foreword: I'm an absolute beginner with MacOS: forgive me, I may run
into inacurancies!!

Problem:Due to embedding and extending Python with C language on MacOS,
i'm trying to build Python on MacOS.

Using:
iMac PPC
Mac OS T1-9.0
Code Warrior Release 5 (CW IDE 4.0)
Python1.5.2c1src from
http://www.cwi.nl/ftp/jack/python/mac/Python152src.sit

Following instructions in "Building Mac Python from source" html doc
located in the src folder:Mac:Demo:building.html

State of the art:
Created a folder 'Mac Python' on my HD.
Set up acces paths as indicated in building.html into my 'Mac Python'
folder.
Downloaded GUSI from
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/software/platform/macos/src.
Built GUSI2: CW built GUSI_MSL.PPC.Lib in 'MacPython:CWGUSI. I
duplicated and renamed it into MSLGUSI.Lib.PPC since discovered that
PythonCorePPC.prj looks for it.

Encountered problems:
I decided to build prj one by pne since the buildlibs.prj gives too much
trouble (acces paths) and because the included projects
(libpng.prj,libjpg.prj,...) seemed accessories to me.
First CW asks to convert prjs to the new version. Ok.
I started with PythonCorePPC.prj:

1) CW searches for a list of sys/xxx.h headers. Got many of them on my
HD. I included in System access path those into the 'include:src' folder
of GUSI distribution (more correlated), put them either above and under
the Metrowerks Standard Library. Seems to work but...

2)..at Making time CW arises declaration syntax errors, that make me
suppose that those sys/xxx.h are NOT the right ones !!!! Which ones am I
supposed to use?

3) Building other projects before PythonCorePPC.prj, CW remonstrates
that he isn't able to find PythonCore file project (even if a User Path
is set pointing where PythonCore.prj is)

Finally:
...at this point i give up!! Is anybody into this matter? In
particoular:
1_ am i doing anything in the right way?
2_ which extra software am i supposed to use?
3_ how do i have to set up acces paths for CW?
4_ why it seems to me that names, paths and versions of the downloaded
packages,     are all wrong?

By the way: then i have to embed and extend Python with C language. Any
tip or trick for the beginner?

thanks a TON
etienne