[Pythonmac-SIG] Robert Roebling: wxPython

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:10:56 -0400

Anybody interested in porting wxPython to the Mac?
WxWindows has already been ported, so it's probably a simple task.

This is about the only cross-platform GUI toolkit that works on the
Mac besides Tk (most of the new Linux offerings are "cross-platform"
meaning Unix and Windows...).

Please help this guy!

(And where's the Mac port of 1.5.2 final? :-)

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 23 Aug 1999 14:29:04 -0000
From:    Robert Roebling <roebling@ruf.uni-freiburg.de>
To:      Guido van Rossum <guido@cnri.reston.va.us>
cc:      Robin Dunn <robin@alldunn.com>, Stefan Csomor <csomor@advancedconcepts
	  .ch>
Subject: wxPython

  Hi Guido,

I'm the author of the Linux/GTK variant of wxWindows
and although I admit that I haven't written a single
line of code in that snake languge or yours, you may
have noticed that some of my work does get used by
users of Python, more exactly wxPython. wxPython are
the Python bindings to the wxWindows GUI library and
from what I have heard (and only that), they are not
quite unpopular. Currently, wxWindows has been ported
to GTK, Windows and Mac (there also is a badly maintained
Motif port), but our Python bindings are availble only
for Unix and Windows, as our wxPython pioneer doesn't
have access to a Mac. I wonder if you could maybe drop
a notice somewhere to motivate someone form the MacPython
team (assuming that there is one) to lend a hand. Note,
that this is mainly a question of compiling and making
a package out of it, as the code and the bindings are
already there - this doesn't mean that 10 minutes will
be enough for that, of course.

I CC this mail to Stefan Csomor, the author of the Mac port,
and Robin Dunn, the author of the Python bindings of wxWindows,

  Regards,

    Robert

------- End of Forwarded Message