[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter questions

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:24:06 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't touched Tkinter on the Mac for a while -- I've been using
EasyDialogs and other mac toolbox calls lately, but I didn't remember
having such problems, so I gave it a try, and it seems to be really
broken. What happened ?  ( Did something happen, or am I mistakenly
misremembering a 'golden age' when the demo's actually ran without
crashing. ( Well -- most of them! ) ? )

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Samuel Smith wrote:

> Mac Tkinter Newbie problems:
>
> I am asking questions for the Mac mainly because 1) I prefer macs, if given
> a choice. 2) I am testing the waters for the activily level of the Python
> community, and it appears that mac support is weakest in Python so this is
> a worst case test.
>
> When I run the tutorial Tkinter examples in Mac Python I found the
> following problems:
>
> The python menubar gets replaced with a new menu bar who's menus apparently
> do nothing.
>
> I can't quit python once I close a Tkinter window (the Tkinter menu bar
> stays on the screen) The only way I could figure out to quit python was to
> do a sys.exit(). I bound sys.exit to my Tk quit button but that doesn't
> work for the close box on the window title bar.
>

> It seems that I should be able to close a Tk window without having to do a
> sys.exit() that kills python as well.
>
> Why does Tkinter put up a new menu bar by default and I do I disable it. (I
> suppose once I get far enough into Tk I can define my own menubar somehow
> and override it but it seems to me that by default Tkinter should do
> something friendly with the menu bar.
>
> I read the Tkinter.py file and could not find any code that creates this
> new menubar. Where is it made? in _tkinter?

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

    Caldera Open Linux: "Powerful and easy to use!" -- Microsoft(*)
     (*) <http://www.pathfinder.com/fortune/1999/03/01/mic.html>