[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter questions

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:15:36 +0200

Samuel,
you should probably also ask your non-mac-specific Tkinter questions in the
general Python mailinglist/newsgroup, where you have a much better chance of
an answer.

I'll stick to answering the mac things I know about:

> The python menubar gets replaced with a new menu bar who's menus apparently
> do nothing.

This is a Tk problem, and I think there's little I can do about it.

> I can't quit python once I close a Tkinter window (the Tkinter menu bar
> stays on the screen) The only way I could figure out to quit python was to
> do a sys.exit(). I bound sys.exit to my Tk quit button but that doesn't
> work for the close box on the window title bar.

There used to be a workaround for this, which re-installed the Python menubar.
Unfortunately it stopped working some time in the past. I'll see whether I can
do something about it.

> Tk docs refer to a resource file. How is this supported on the Mac. (Other
> platforms)

Could you give me a pointer? I'm not familiar with what Tk calls resource
files...

> I crashed my system a couple of times using Tk with the Mac IDE (Just Van
> Rossum's) Is this a serious incompatiblity problem or something that can be
> fixed with a little debugging)

This is an incompatability that is probably pretty difficult to fix. Both Tk
and IDE fight over the eventloop, the menubar, window ownership and a few
other things. It shouldn't crash your system, though, at most it should crash
Python:-)