[Pythonmac-SIG] Over My Head

Richard Gordon maccgi@bellsouth.net
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 08:38:58 -0500

I'm in over my head, but not like you may be thinking (at least for
the purposes of this message).

The short(er) version is that when Darwin was announced, I took a
look at the pieces available for distribution and noticed that while
Perl was included, Python was not. So, I wrote to Developer Feedback
and pointed out this omission with a suggestion that they include
Python in Darwin and in OS X Server if it has been omitted from the
shipping product.

In due course, I got a perfunctory thank you in reply, but then got
another message yesterday from the Darwin Product Manager, Ernest
Prabhakar <prabhaka@apple.com>, that invited me to submit a
compatible version of Python that will run under Darwin because they
hadn't had a chance to explore that.

That's where the "over my head" part comes in since my knowlege of
Python is pretty rudimentary at this point regardless of platform. I
told him that I would pass this request on to you guys in the belief
that somebody here was probably already playing with Darwin and that
this was the most Mac-centric source of Python knowledge.

So, there it is. It did not occur to me to mention to him that
mkLinux DR3 ships with Python and maybe that version is already
suitable for use with Darwin and/or MacOS X Server. Is that the quick
fix or what? If so, I'll pass the info along and let them figure it
out, but if not then could one of you guys who is willing to
evangelize Python maybe get up with Ernie about this? Thanks.

Richard Gordon
Gordon Consulting & Design
Database Design/Scripting Languages
mailto://maccgi@bellsouth.net