[Pythonmac-SIG] Launch App in background

Vincenzo Tschinke tschinke@swissonline.ch
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 22:41:21 +0200

I would like to use an helper application that processes some files for my python script. On the Mac I tried this hack:

import findertools
import sys

def launch_app(app):
	# invoke finder
	findertools.launch(app)
	# hack to refocuse on Python!
	findertools.launch(sys.executable)

This has the disadvantage that Python goes in the background and the desktop appears for a certain time (a few seconds in my case) with whatever messy bunch of windows and icons is at hand. Changing the "finder flags" of the application itself (background only, etc.) does not have an effect.

Does anybody have a better method? Would at least be possible to show a box telling "Work in progress" or something while the application is running?

Thanks

Vincenzo

Vincenzo Tschinke
Kernmattstr. 24