[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE & MacOS 8.5?

Doug Wyatt doug@sonosphere.com
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 01:36:22 -0500

At 19:42 +0100 11/26/98, Just van Rossum wrote:
> I just learned from Andrew Mckenzie that the Mac Python IDE refuses to work
> under MacOS 8.5. Since I don't have 8.5 yet, could someone help me isolate
> the problem? I would probably have to send the sources. These will also be
> included in the next MacPython release (hopefully shortly after Guido
> releases 1.5.2b1). It would be nice if I could get rid of the problem
> before then. Thanks in advance.

Hi Just,

Strangely enough I just now discovered a PyIDE problem.

I'm running MacOS 8.1 on a G3 with PyIDE 0.9b4 and Python 1.5.1.

If I launch the IDE, quit, then launch it again, I crash during the drawing
of the PyIDE splash screen.  I mucked around in Macsbug enough to isolate
the crash in the Appearance Manager.  I unchecked "System-wide platinum
appearance" in the Appearance control panel, and the crashes stopped.

The calling chain is:
	Python code calls DrawDialog
	which calls DrawControls
	where it crashes the second time it gets there

On a hunch I went into Resorcerer, changed the dialog's background color,
so as to create a 'dctb' resource, and the problem stopped.  Strange!

Doug

--
Doug Wyatt                             doug@sonosphere.com
Sonosphere (electric/improv music)     http://www.sonosphere.com/