[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac, MIDI and sysex -- Tkinter question

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 23:43:52 +0200

Recently, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> said:
> The
> quicktime midi interface is just plain broken, because you have to do
> all your own timing. The other stuff like OMS is just as bad, as far
> as I understand it.

As it was just pointed out to me that there are people on the list
involved with implementing these I guess I should qualify these
statements:-)

What I meant was: both OMS and quicktime midi assume that the program
using them is in charge of its own timing, so it can give the right
quicktime calls or send the right OMS messages at the correct
time. They unfortunately don't seem to have an interface that allows
you to stuff a number of time values and command/arguments into a
buffer and say "here, go do these and tell me when its done", such as
the Sound Manager has (and, to a lesser extent, QuickTime for movies,
where you only have to call MoviesTask once in a while and that's it).

But, of course, if the functionality is in there somewhere and I've
missed it I will be the first to applaud whoever corrects me:-)
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm