[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Basic plotting using Python on the Mac

Anthony M. Ingraldi a.m.ingraldi@larc.nasa.gov
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:41:20 -0400

At 6:08 PM -0400 9/18/97, W.T. Bridgman wrote:

>Two questions:
>1) Does anyone on this list have some basic graphics modules (that will run
>on a PowerPC) they would be interested in sharing.  My basic needs are xy
>plots, scatter plots, linear & log scales.

If you don't mind using an external application to do the plotting via
AppleEvents, you can use the Macintosh port of gnuplot.  I have used this
approach and it is quite workable.  You can even use python to act as a
console window for gnuplot and send it plot commands interactively as you
would in the UNIX version.

I can send you the python modules that I put together to interact with
gnuplot if you would like.  The application itself is available at

	http://www.ee.gatech.edu/users/schooley/gnuplot.html

Since gnuplot is available on multiple platforms, it would be possible to
write a high-level interface for it that would hide the actual mechanism of
interapplication communication.  I've not gone that far with my modules.

--
   Tony Ingraldi                         e-mail: A.M.INGRALDI@LaRC.NASA.GOV
   NASA Langley Research Center