[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Re: MacPython 1.5 questions and suggestions

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@Virginia.EDU
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 09:58:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Jack Jansen wrote:

> > > What do you think about splitting the Tk library out of the Core PPC
> > > Library ?
> >
> > This sounds like a good idea.  I do it this way for Windows --
> > _tkinter is built standard but as a shared library.
>
> I had missed this bit of Steven's post, and I'm confused. Tk isn't in the core
> library, it is in the _tkinter plugin. So, it's already separated, and you can
> already update it if a new version becomes available...

Thanks for the clarification -- I didn't see a separate Tk shared library,
and I made the wrong assumption. However, the same idea applies: linking
_tkinter to a shared Tk lib would make it easier to drop in a new Tk.
 I know that's a build option -- I'm suggesting it for the standard dist.
since the folks who don't want to or can't rebuild it are the ones who
would most appreciate a drop-in upgrade. ( I don't know what the future
release plans for Tk are -- for all I know, 8.0 may be stable - but you
know: generals always fighting the last war ... we've been thru quite a
stream of Tk releases. )

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
All power corrupts and obsolete power corrupts obsoletely." - Ted Nelson