[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Motorola C compiler, anyone?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 17:46:18 +0100

I was looking at where Python/PPC was spending its time, and at some point
I looked at the machine code generated by the MetroWerks C compiler. I
must say I was rather appalled: even with all optimizations on it
still contained silly things as branches-over-branches and such.

I already knew that the MW optimizer isn't exactly state of the art,
but I wasn't aware that it was so bad.

Apparently the Motorola C compiler, which is available as a plugin
for the MW environment, does a much better job. Hence my question:
has anyone tried compiling Python/PPC with the Motorola compiler, and
what were the results? I'm interested in both performance and porting
ease, since the combination of these two is what'll probably influence
my decision to get the mcc compiler...

Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm