[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Q: How To Tell The Finder To Launch An App With A Doc?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:42:38 +0200

YES!!!!

Thanks, Mark, for pointing me in the right direction. I never managed to find
out how to make the finder open something, but I was looking in the new (7.1)
finder suite, and it turns out that this is much more easily done using the
7.0 finder scripting interface.

If people can't wait for this functionality until the 1.4 release: let me know
and I'll send you the example code in Python.

One minor problem remains: with this interface you have to specify the fsspec
or full pathname of the application you want to launch, while what you would
really want is to specify either the 4-char creator or (possibly) the filename
only of the application. Does anyone have code to browse through the finders'
desktop database to get from creator to full pathname?
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm