[PYTHONMAC-SIG] wanted: "Run Python" BBEdit extension

Just van Rossum just@knoware.nl
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 22:18:38 +0200

At 9:49 AM 9/15/96, Joseph Strout wrote:
>In my never-ending quest for a Mac programming language for kids that
>doesn't suck, I've recently been looking at Chipmunk Basic.  It comes with
>a very cool feature: a BBEdit plug-in that adds a "Run as Chipmunk Basic"
>command to the Extensions menu.  You edit your source in BBEdit (Lite),
>pick this off the menu, and poof! the Mac switches to Chipmunk Basic,
>loads your code, and executes it.

It should be very easy, I'll look into it, I've written a simple BBEdit
extension before, and with AppleEvents, it should be a breeze, to speak
with Jack. I already have a simple engine that lets you send python code to
the interpreter via AE.

>In Python, the most efficient paradigm I've come up with is to edit my
>code, save it, then switch to the Finder and drag the file onto the Python
>app.  Then when it's done I have to be sure to quit (Python).  This is not
>terrible, but the BBEdit extension is nicer.

>Of course, *nicest* would be a Mac Python IDE.  Edit your code (with
>syntax hilighting), command-R to run, command-D to debug, set breakpoints
>just by clicking the little stop signs in the sidebar...  ah, but now I'm
>just dreaming...

Well, I have an attempt at such a thing going, but it's not *near* beta.
Integrated editor (supports collapsing!) and run command is there, Jack's
working on a graphical debugger, so somehow I believe there'll be something
very nice at some point. I don't know yet how to do syntax highlighting
efficiently.

It's however unlikely this will be finished before 1.4 mac will be released
though.

Let me know if you want to have a look at the current state of my stuff.

Just

PS: i got this message twice, is that normal?