[PYTHONMAC-SIG] UNIX files

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:59:45 +0200

> Hmm...  This is really a problem with the CW stdio library -- it
> appears to *swap* CR and LF in text translation mode.  If it just
> mapped CR to LF and left LF alone, we'd have no problems (until
> someone tries a DOS file, which will appear to be double-spaced).

Actually, I quite like this behaviour...

> The only code I can find turns CR LF into LF, which would be fine to
> convert DOS files when read in binary mode.

You're right, I didn't look well enough at the code. That means that the \r
are passed through and ignored as whitespace sometime later. This means that
we would probably need an explicit check for \r somewhere (provided I can
convince you that an error is better than transparency in this case).

Ok, let me know which behaviour people prefer and I'll implement it. (Of
course, if there are votes to be taken the votes of some will weigh heavier
than those of others:-)

Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm