[PYTHONMAC-SIG] UNIX files

Joseph Strout jstrout@ucsd.edu
Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:51:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Rob Managan wrote:

> I learned today that on the Mac Python seems to ignore a script that has
> UNIX line endings. Unfortunately editors like Alpha read such files easily
> and you have to look closely to notice that the file uses unix line
> endings.

BBEdit too, and sure enough, this has caused me some problems.  I've even
found that when downloading scripts from a Unix host with Netscape, the
line endings may not be converted (though you'd expect it to -- it must
not realize that it's a text file...).  Then you wonder why it won't run!

Hmm, Jack, what would be required to make Python interpret Unix line
endings, or at least recognize them and display a warning?

|    Joseph J. Strout           Department of Neuroscience, UCSD   |
|    jstrout@ucsd.edu           http://www-acs.ucsd.edu/~jstrout/  |