[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Re: Python and Super/hypercard

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:20:11 +0100

> Both HyperCard and SuperCard support the use of code resources know as
> xcmd's and xfnc/s.  There are a lot of these out there that do stuff that
> would be useful in a mac-python app.  Has anybody wriiten anything to take
> advantage of them?
>
> I think that this should be doable in straight mac python from what I've
> seen of it.

This would be very nice. It has been on my wishlist for a number of years
already, but I've never had a real application for it so it didn't get done
yet. If someone is willing to look into it it would be nice to have.

> The other idea is a bit more complicated.  It seems to me that it should be
> possible to make an xcmd out of python itself. such an xcmd would allow you
> to make an embeded application in HyperCard or SuperCard (or any
> application that can use xcmds) just by importing the python xcmd
> "resource".

This is impossible. Or, let me state that differently: I wouldn't know how to
do this. Python needs lots of code and dataspace, and code resources are too
cramped.

Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm