[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Alpha Editor

Robin Friedrich friedric@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com
Tue, 28 May 1996 10:35:16 -0500

|> From: Ivan Herman <Ivan.Herman@cwi.nl>
|> Sender: owner-pythonmac-sig@python.org
|> Yes, I did use both of them. Alpha is much richer than BBEdit; you can be an
|> Alpha hacker just as you can be an Emacs hacker! (One can have various modes,
|> with different keysetting and all that stuff, all written in Tcl). As a
|> However, all this has a price: Alpha is big, slow to start up, takes a lot of
|> memory. Ideally, one uses it as using emacs on UNIX: start it when
|> bootstrapping the machine, and leave it as a background. However, if memory is
|> low... These were the main reasons why I switched to BBEdit: it is smaller,
|> faster, and gives most of what you need. All this is a personal choice,
|> however.

I've used BBeditLite for a while now and I do like it but what I need
is a python mode. I even got emacs for the Mac. It's a full
implimentation of GNU 18.xx emacs and python-mode.el does work with it
but it is very keyboard driven (e.g. you can't drag select anything,
and I can't live without that).  Alpha looks like a fine compromise. It
starts up quick for me (because of the machine I run on, performance
and memory consumption is not a problem:-) But Alpha is just screaming
for a python mode.
-Robin