[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Compile under CW8?

Glenn Andreas gandreas@skypoint.com
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:12:46 -0600 (CST)

> gandreas@skypoint.c writes:
> : Has anybody gotten a stock 1.3 to compile under CW8?  It use to work fine
> : under CW7, but now compiling ceval.c hangs the compiler.
>
> I've seen CW8 hang when compiling ceval.c on a 6100 with optimization on.
> I can compile it just fine on a 6100 and a 9500 with optimization off.
>
> The hang seems new to this version of CW.
>
> -jeff stearns

Well, strange as it may seem, this was a bit of a false alarm.  It does
compile fine, but it takes several minutes!  I was just so use to nothing
taking more than five seconds that after thirty seconds I paniced (I'm
sure there is an important lesson here).  I spent several hours commenting
out various chunks of the routine, and noticed that it would work, but it
sometimes took a while (but far enough below my panic threshold to not
cause me to kill it).  And while I had all optimizations on, I'm not
convinced that that is related, since I got the same behaviour if I only
did "Check Syntax" (which I assumed would not generate code, much less
optimize it, unless some of the optimizations are done in then).

So, everything is OK, and I didn't just go temporarily insane.  Back to
thinking about SOM wrappers for OpenDoc...

Glenn

Glenn Andreas                                 Author of Macintosh games:
gandreas@skypoint.com, gandreas@aol.com             Theldrow 2.3
http://www.skypoint.com/members/gandreas            Blobbo 1.0.1
ftp://ftp.skypoint.com/pub/members/g/gandreas   <---- Available here!