[PYTHONMAC-SIG] Wanted: Python w/GUSI testers...

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 06 Feb 1996 15:37:50 +0100

I've created Python interpreters that use GUSI, the Grand Unified
Socket Interface for their I/O and I would like it very much if some
people downloaded these and tested them. Note that the executables are
only *very* lightly tested, so expect all sorts of things to fail.

GUSI is a unix-like I/O system for mac programs, allowing the use of
sockets, select, etc. I've finally been convinced that using GUSI in
python is also the only way to get Tcl/Tk to work, and it appears that
GUSI may also provide the functionality needed to implement threads on
the mac. This release is done to get some idea of where the use of
GUSI will mess up the expectancies of the rest of python.

You can obtain a 68K or PPC executable from
<ftp://ftp.cwi.nl/pub/jack/python/mac/withgusi/>. Note that these files
are interpreters only, you're expected to have "the rest" of the
python distribution installed already. Also, don't throw away your
normal interpreter: I'm pretty sure that these interpreters will have
some serious shortcomings.

Here are the main differences with a normal 1.3.1 interpreter:
- No stdwin, img, mactcp modules
- Unix-like socket and select modules
- os.stat() returns same info as on unix (no
  type/creator/resource-size)
- no resource-fork opening with open('file', '*r')
- (PPC only) The interpreter is statically linked and does not use
  PythonCore.
- (PPC only) Dynamic modules are incompatible (maybe you should remove
  PlugIns from your sys.path, to be sure).

Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm