[Python.NET] runScript

Alan Macdonald alan.macdonald at hrhgeology.com
Mon Nov 7 09:55:00 CET 2011

I am trying to put together a basic proof of concept for running some python on the CPython interpreter from a C# host application.  I have successfully invoked the RunSimpleString method on the PythonEngine class as follows:

 PythonEngine.Initialize();
IntPtr lockPtr = PythonEngine.AcquireLock();
var result = PythonEngine.RunSimpleString(@"print ""hello""");
PythonEngine.ReleaseLock(lockPtr);
PythonEngine.Shutdown();

This worked as expected and output hello to the command prompt.

I then wanted to make sure I could get a simple example working with RunString so tried the following

PythonEngine.Initialize();
 IntPtr lockPtr = PythonEngine.AcquireLock();
 var result = PythonEngine.RunString(@"print ""hello""
         print ""test""
 ");

PythonEngine.ReleaseLock(lockPtr);
PythonEngine.Shutdown();

This just appears to do nothing and the returned result object is null.  Am I getting the complete wrong end of the stick with how to use RunString?

My System is:

Windows 7 x64
Python 2.6.6 (64 bit)
The Python .net I downloaded was pythonnet-2.0-alpha2-136-py26.zip
My Visual Studio project is set to .Net 3.5

Thanks for your time,

Alan