[Python.NET] Problem debugging to python.runtime.dll

Dave Hirschfeld david.hirschfeld at gazprom-mt.com
Thu Feb 18 21:40:56 CET 2010

Vishal.Parikh wrote:

> We are actually using Python.Net with python 2.5 and I wanted to learn
> the internal architecture of the Python.Runtime.Dll. I have tried
> debugging the dll by attaching the process to python.exe but doesn't hit
> any break point. I don't know much about the compiler design and how it
> works internal but all I want is I should be able to debug how my C#
> instruction is getting executed using python.runtime.dll

In the Debug Tab of the Properties dialog for your C# project choose "Start
external program" for the Start Action and select the normal CPython
executable - python.exe. In the "Command line arguments" put the full path
of the python script which calls the C# function you want to debug. If you
debug the project now it should run the python script and you should drop in
to the c# debugger at the breakpoint you set in the function called by the
Python script.

HTH,
Dave